Appointments to See the Doctor
An appointment system is in operation at our Surgery. Please note, one patient per appointment. Although you may see any Doctor at the Practice, it is better to see one Doctor consistently. URGENT cases will always be accommodated. Ideally you should try to consult the same Doctor for recurrent/ongoing medical problems.
Appointments are usually 10 minutes, but if you feel your problem will take longer, please request a 20 minute appointment. Some urgent appointments will be dealt with by our Nurse Practitioners who will assess and treat your problem or refer you on to the Doctor on Call if appropriate.
If you wish to speak to a Doctor, Nurse Practitioner or Nurse for advice please let our receptionists know. They will take your details and the Doctor/Nurse will return your call between Surgeries and visits. Plesae be patient as the Practice can be very busy and your query will need to be priorities.
How to Make an Appointment to See the Doctor
- Telephone 01484 503515 or call in between 08:00 and 18:00 or you may make appointments on line via the link at the top of this page (contact reception for details).
- You can also book appointments online.
- You will able to book up to one month in advance.
- If the doctor of your choice is unavailable you will be offered the earliest possible alternative.
- Urgent cases will be seen on the same day.
- If you cannot keep your appointment please let us know as soon as possible.
Click here for a detailed surgery timetable
How to Make an Appointment to See the Nurse
The nurses are available by appointment. Please telephone or call between 08:00 and 18:00. The following list is offered as a guide to the services provided by the Practice nurses:
- Minor injuries, accidents and dressings
- General health checks, including BP
- Over 75 and three year assessments
- Diabetic, heart disease and respiratory disease monitoring
- HRT and contraceptive monitoring
- Smoking cessation advice
- Healthy living advice, including diet and weight management
- Travel advice and immunisation
- Immunisation for children
- Influenza and pneumococcal immunisation
Early Morning Surgery
We hold an early morning surgery for people who cannot attend during the day time. Appointments can be booked at reception or over the telephone. The early morning surgery operates between 07:00 and 08:00 two mornings per week. These appointments are booked by prior arrangement only.
Text Appointment Reminder and Cancellation Service
We operate text appointment reminder and cancellation service which will make patient contact easier and also help the surgery to look after the future healthcare needs of our patients.
We would like to draw your attention to the following:
- We will never give your number to a 3rd party.
- We will only use your number for specific healthcare messages.
- We will never send any personal data via this service.
Dr Ollerton and Dr James are available for SKYPE consultations for patients who wish to utilise this service.
We offer a chaperone service policy and all patients are free to request a chaperone who should be a trained clinician. However, if a clinician is unavailable to chaperone at the time of your appointment, your GP or nurse will offer you the choice of either having a non-clinical chaperone (a member of the administrative staff) or to make another appointment. All staff at Skelmanthorpe Family Doctors who act as chaperones have had formal training.
If you cannot attend an appointment for any reason please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to give the slot to someone else.